Stellaluna & Nonfiction Bat Literature Study
Halloween is just around the corner and kids are focused on costumes, candy and creepy creature--it's enough to make you batty! Use this "Stellaluna" and Nonfiction Bat Unit to engage all learners while teaching critical Common Core Reading, Writing and Science standards. In this unit, students will:
- Retell "Stellaluna"
- Compare and contrast characters
- Identify cause and effect
- Make text connections
- Pair fiction/nonfiction books (twin texts) to increase comprehension and build nonfiction reading skills
- Identify and use text features to locate important information
- Ask and answer questions using text
- Participate in shared bat research
- Plan, draft, edit and publish bat report on enlarged bat (teachers can hang from ceilings)
Supplemental homework and cooking activities are included as well.
A literature list and directions for making a classroom "Bat Cave" for classroom are also provided.
***Common Core Standards are listed next to each activity.